AN ESTIMATED 10 MILLION PEOPLE GLOBALLY ARE DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY SUPPORTED BY THE DIAMOND INDUSTRY.
From the countries where they are sourced to the countries where they are polished and sold, diamonds are supporting millions of people globally. In the African country of Namibia, the diamond mining industry is the largest single employer after the government. In Botswana approximately 25% of the labor force is directly or indirectly linked to diamonds. In India approximately one million people are employed in the diamond industry. In 2002, approximately 15% of total employment in the Canadian Northwest Territories was related to diamond mine operation and construction.
- Canada's North West Territories - industry, tourism and investment
- The Economic Impact of the Diamond Industry in the Economy of the NWT Ellis Consultant Services (1991-2002) http://www.miningnorth.com/docs/NWT%20Diamonds%20Report%20-%20June%2013%2005.pdf
- Report by the Chamber of Commerce 2004
- International Marketing Council of South Africa http://www.southafrica.info/doing_business/economy/key_sectors/diamonds-report2004.htm
- The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council
- Chamber of Mines South Africa: Facts and Figures 2005 http://www.bullion.org.za/.